say hi to self-reliance
Self-Reliance is an essay written by American Transcendentalist philosopher and essayist, Ralph Waldo Emerson. It contains the most solid statement of one of Emerson's repeating themes, the need for each individual to avoid conformity and false consistency, and follow his or her own instincts and ideas. Emerson's ideas are considered a reaction to a commercial identity; he calls for a return to individual identity.
Analysis
Emerson presupposes that the mind is initially subject to an unhappy nonconformism.[5] However, "Self-Reliance" is not anti-society or anti-community. Instead, Emerson advocates self-reliance as a starting point, not as a goal.[6]
The first hint of the philosophy that would become Self-Reliance was presented by Emerson as part of a sermon in September 1830
it is said that after a month of Emerson's marriage, his wife was sick with tuberculosis, and his biographer wrote "emmersons belief in immortality had never been stronger or more desperately needed'.
oh but how lonely it is.
then and now,

8 Comments:
It makes one wonder that if Emerson's wife had not been sick, would he have been driven to come to believe and create his self-reliance philosophy?
i struggle with emerson. i could never believe his outrageous enthusiasm. "self-reliance"? what is there in the world that allowed him to believe in such a thing?
one of my favorite pieces. read it over and over again when I was younger. loneliness is one lense in which to view the essay, but there are other ways to interpret what he's trying to get across. there is always the indelible faith one can have in oneself...for pieces on loneliness, I think Emily Dickinson might be a better reference.
really enjoy your blog. refreshing, in a weird way, I suppose. but really do enjoy.
I'm sorry you were so lonely dear, I wish you would have reached out to anyone who would have loved to know you! RIP you beautiful soul, Say Hi to all my of them for me.
Pretty Pirate is absolutely right! Her words are what I would have told you! What I see you were so much more than that the people wanted to see! Rest in peace nd say hi to Gregor if you meet him.
And please be with us!
()
Brava! You had a good time reading him. You was so great.
hello and goodbye daul
her suicide.....was in part due to racism, sad sad
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home