say bye to steve aoki and cut chemist
btw i returned to seoul 3 days ago.
last night there was a party, at W hotel
it was steve aoki dj-ing
and deven aoki was suppose to come or something,
i have no idea WHY i went (only cos of Xin and hyo jin)
but i seriously it told me again WHY i dont go to parties
CUT CHEMIST SUCKS
seriously this scrawny little white guy was djing some really lame
and seriously OLD song and like he kept on saying "YO ! SEOUL! TO ALL THE PEOPLE
WHO DONT SPEAK ENGLISH" and also "WORD!" "WORD!"
so.....ignorant and fucking annoying
hey, are you black? are you black?
why do you steal other race's culture?
you think your cool?
also you think your cool dissing people who dont speak english?
in korea, almost everybody speaks english, they can understand but we are shy
so we dont reply, but in normal schools teach english anyway
EVERYBODY KNOWS WHEN U SAY "DONT SPEAK ENGLISH"
and steve aoki djing sucks.
it was just BAAAAD
you playing songs i was dancing to in london more than 1 year ago
and mixed even badley
this party was really overated and the club atmoshere was so boring
the dj-s probably dont have eye sight cos no one was dancing
and i even fell asleep at one point
last night there was a party, at W hotel
it was steve aoki dj-ing
and deven aoki was suppose to come or something,
i have no idea WHY i went (only cos of Xin and hyo jin)
but i seriously it told me again WHY i dont go to parties
CUT CHEMIST SUCKS
seriously this scrawny little white guy was djing some really lame
and seriously OLD song and like he kept on saying "YO ! SEOUL! TO ALL THE PEOPLE
WHO DONT SPEAK ENGLISH" and also "WORD!" "WORD!"
so.....ignorant and fucking annoying
hey, are you black? are you black?
why do you steal other race's culture?
you think your cool?
also you think your cool dissing people who dont speak english?
in korea, almost everybody speaks english, they can understand but we are shy
so we dont reply, but in normal schools teach english anyway
EVERYBODY KNOWS WHEN U SAY "DONT SPEAK ENGLISH"
and steve aoki djing sucks.
it was just BAAAAD
you playing songs i was dancing to in london more than 1 year ago
and mixed even badley
this party was really overated and the club atmoshere was so boring
the dj-s probably dont have eye sight cos no one was dancing
and i even fell asleep at one point
10 Comments:
Hahaha! Good to hear that Steven Aoki is so overated. Always amazing what status will buy you. Have you met Devon Aoki? Is she overated too?
Maybe the party sucked, maybe the DJing was lame, but don't try to front on Cut Chemist and call him a culture thief. Aoki might be a flake but Chemist has been around a long time and done a lot of important work for hiphop and turntablism. Maybe you should go tell his last band (Jurrasic 5 - all BLACK men) that their DJ is stealing their culture. Check yourself, seriously.
But you're right about the English comments...lame.
Hey Daul,
When you showed me your blog last year you got me thinking... That looks cool! Well it's taken 10 months of thinking til i got off my ass and made one...
Anyway i went to a club in seoul a few months ago, i think it was called Circle? It was fun but definitely not like Trailer... You gotta love the east end...
hilarious review. I will not check out Aoki anymore.
Everybody is just loving Aoki coz they were told to. Ive heard him on mixtapes being excellent, But I guess all Djs have bad nights..The worst part is when u feel youre guessing what to play.
Anyways. I love how u review the nite. Str8 to the point. No sugar coat,
Actually, Cut Chemist was commenting on how many people spoke English. He was pleasantly surprised. Your English comprehension isn't as good as you think if you didn't understand that.
Maybe it was the L.A. humor you didn't get. I did, but I'm from L.A.
I think you might want to back off the stealing culture shit too. That's just ignorant since you clearly didn't know Jurassic 5, a group he's in, has four members who are black. I think they might be in a better position to judge whether he's a cultural thief or not.
I'm the founder and editor-in-chief of FeetManSeoul.com, Korea's first independent online street fashion magazine (we're still developing), and came into Korean fashion as a street/documentary photographer originally. That's how we came to be invited to shoot Aoki's show.
Let me first tell you that I'm a 37-year-old black man, and that my days as a partier are farrrrr behind me; I also knew little about Aoki before we were invited to this event. If you think he's overrated, I can't say much to that, since I don't have much experience with the recent club scene, or with the newer trends in club music (I'm an old school raphead myself, and was raised on black house parties in the ghetto, where there were two platters and a mixer, and lots of vinyl -- no one was using CD's to DJ then).
So, I'm old, but old in the way that I know how DJ-ing is done, when only black people were doing it. So I'm not "biased" towards defending Aoki (although I did enjoy his set and didn't have a problem with it).
However, I have to take issue with your representation of what happened that night -- I was there as a photographer to document the event, but also I know about how DJ-ing is done, as a black man who saw DJ-ing start well before it had left the black house parties.
First, people were dancing. They were dancing some of the hardest I've seen in Seoul, and considering the organized party scene is quite new to Korea, I think the party (and others like it recently) are doing quite well. You are right, that Koreans are somewhat conservative with stuff like this, but I see stuff like Aoki's set as doing a lot for the party scene in Seoul in general. I was here in 1994 when the only hip hop clubs were Moon Night and a couple other ones in Itaewon, and when the Hongdae Golden Helmet club was TRULY alternative (back then, hotel night clubs were where you went, not "clubs"). I also partied at the Blue Monkey in Shinchon (not the one there now, but the REAL one before it burned down), and I'll tell you that I haven't liked the commercialization of the Hongdae area and how nearly all the clubs have become generic. So, covering parties where people TRULY rock out and go for the music (and not just to be seen or look cool), such as with SPEKTRA or Aoki's party -- I don't see this as anything but progress.
Second, Cut Chemist. The man was the DJ for the Jurassic Five. OK, sure, maybe that doesn't mean much to you, and I myself hadn't seen him in person. THE MAN WAS DOPE and he had serious SKILLS. He mixed and cut vinyl, he did snycopated rhythms with his ELBOWS on the drum machine, and he sampled and live mixed conversations from the crowd (hence his coming out into the audience and seeming to ask them "silly" questions -- he was looking for samples). I've RARELY EVER seen skills on a DJ before, and too many DJ's these days can't even scratch real vinyl, which Cut Chemist did that night.
Of course, it's your right to say he "sucked" -- but I can't disagree with you more on that. He's one of the best DJ's I've ever seen, black or white. To compare him to say, DJ Kid Capri, who is much more of a scratcher and hip hop DJ would be unfair, but actually, I think he could hold his own enough to gain respect. Even as a party DJ these days, Cut Chemist has MAJOR SKILLZ. And yes, a well-known rap group of ALL BLACK members seems to think he was talented enough, and I don't think the man's all marketing hype.
And as for what you thought he said regarding English, I think you either misheard or misunderstood what he was saying. I think he was expressing surprise that so many people spoke English well, and was complimenting the crowd -- not insulting them for not speaking English.
And as for "stealing" other people's culture -- frankly, that argument has been abandoned by a lot of people in the black and hip-hop community for YEARS now. As a black man, and old-school rap nut, I'll tell you that whites have been accepted if they HAD SKILLZ since the days of the Beastie Boys or 3rd Bass, all the way up to Eminem or another DJ you should know is on the white side -- DJ Green Lantern. Yes, jokers like Vanilla Ice have been rejected and ridiculed, but that's because they actually sucked. The black and rap communities have had no trouble accepting talented whites into the fold, and people have stopped fearing whites "taking over" rap from when I was YOUR age. Probably when you were in elementary school.
In sum, I don't think Aoki is as overrated as you say, but that's a matter of opinion. I do, however, think that bringing artists of Aoki's stature says a lot about how far the party scene has come in Seoul. No, it's not London, but is that a really fair comparison?
And as for Cut Chemist, I have to strongly disagree with your take on both his skills and the racial politics of hip hop. By that argument, you would hate Korean b-boys because they "stole" a black art form, or because they "think they're black." Personally, I love Korean b-boys because they had MAD SKILLZ. If you don't, again -- we have to agree to disagree.
Thanks for raising these interesting points and for allowing me to participate in this discussion. My comment was rather long, but I wanted to be clear about where my logic was coming from.
Thank you and God bless.
- Michael Hurt, Editor-in-Chief
FeetManSeoul.com
im sorry about my black culture comment~ but i still dont like cut chemist because he is not my cup of tea & steve aoki is just lame and i didnt see people dancing.
hey, kim hyo jin is my cousin. i'm glad you wanted to meet her. but if you ever diss cut chemist again, i dont think you'll get the chance. if you're trying to label someone stealing hiphop and pretending, look at your fellow korean rappers. all their instrumentals are jacked from some song in the states without legal representation. well, have a bright and beautiful future :-)
myspace.com/skimdtracks
Haha, you're so funny.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home